Sunday 20 April 2014

Black and White Competition 2014

 Over the last month I have been working on this current competition by Tigerprint. The brief was to create a design with only black and white colours.The design would be used for cards, wrapping paper and gift bags.

When I first found out about this competition I was excited as I felt that this was the perfect theme for me. It meant that I could show my talents using my patterns to create beautiful organic creations.

This image on the left was orginally for the colour of love competition that I was going to enter. However I did not feel that it suited the theme enough, so I saved it for this competition particularly. For this design I chose to include as many hearts I could. In a variety of styles. I like the thought that the hearts or 'love' is growing and blooming.

These next three images are variety of some designs. I particularly liked the butterflies they seem a big thing at the moment. I am also enjoying decorating them with my patterns. The flowers were inspired by the effect that I used to get with a Spirograph. The looping petals give the flowers a few ways of looking at the flower, especially if you focus on one petal. I think the mixture of the flowers and butterflies work well together and relate with the shapes.

I particularly like the last image as the contrast of the black background with my designs, make the details more pronounced and eye catching. I think I will try this out with a few more of my designs.


Creating these designs for the competition, was a new challenge for me as my whiplash is still effecting me. I found I could only draw in 10 minute sperts. Where I then needed to rest my neck and arm, as I would be in quite some pain. I tried to push myself as much as I could but found it hard at times and frustrating.


For my future designs I think I will continue exploring with butterflies, as I like the summitry on the wings. I also like the thought of lots choices with a small surface pattern space.


When I submitted my designs I was hopeful of my entries as I thought the subject matter suited me well. However I was unfortunate to not be shortlisted. Which I found disapointing but  I will continue try to more competitions.





4 comments:

  1. Love the butterflies very current x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I appreciate this comment, I really do enjoy drawing the butterflies at the moment.

      Delete
  2. I agree with the above. The butterflies look fantastic and seem to..pop from the paper. Although i love the black and white i must say with the right colours they could make for an eye catching display. Keep up the good work. Great to see the accident hasnt quashed your ability or determination.

    ReplyDelete